Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Small Blessings

This week has been a bit of a rough patch for me. I have been really struggling this week with different stuff, including my first bout of homesickness. So tonight, when I was walking home from babysitting and I was sulking about how rough my life is. Then God had other plans. When I turned the corner to my house, I saw two homeless people huddled up together under the porch of a closed down restaurant in sleeping bags, trying to stay warm and out of the rain.

I just started crying and realized just how truly blessed I am. I know that we all have struggles in our life and I know that there are genuine hard times that we all suffer. But in that moment, when I was moping and feeling sorry for myself, God opened my eyes to those that are suffering more. It was an excellent opportunity to pray for those people and just to thank God over and over for all of the provisions that He's given me: a warm house, food to eat, shelter from the rain, clothes with no holes in them, etc.

It also motivated me more for our blanket drive that we're doing next week. Joanna and Will are a part of a Tuesday night church and they've decided to collect money in order to purchase heavy blankets for the homeless for the coming winter. The blankets will be purchased and then next Tuesday, we will hand them out to the homeless around the city. So I'm very excited for that next week and can't wait to tell all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment