Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Blanket Drive/ Care Package

Well, the blanket drive was a huge success!! I am so thankful to everyone who donated- we were able to give out 48 blankets, 80 packs of tissues, and a few pairs of pants. We split into teams and went to metro stations all around the city (since that's where most of the homeless sleep for extra warmth) and we met some amazing people. There were so many awesome experiences from every single team and every person we met was so different.

One man in particular touched my heart- Joseph (as his name translates). This guy has been living in this particular metro station for 10 years, got picked up by the police the night before and treated horribly, and hasn't seen his 3 children in 6 years. We gave him a blanket and some hot tea and he just opened up and poured his heart out to us. At the end of his story, we asked if we could pray with him and he said that we could. During the prayer, he started balling and was so grateful for everything that we had done for him. I really hope to see him again soon.

A little side note- I've received an AMAZING care package today from the Encouragers Class from my home church. It brought me soooooo much joy and excitement and I can't wait to use everything. They gave me 10 movies, SIX packages of cookie mix, snickers, reese's, equal packets, medicine and some crystal light as well. I'm so incredibly excited about it and even more blessed. SO- thank you encouragers class for pitching in and truly blessing me (and my roommates as well since they get to enjoy this goodness too) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment