Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ministry

Today we had an awesome Bible study together as a team and it was pretty encouraging and challenging at the same time (aren't those the best?). It was about ministering to the poor that are in our communities and how necessary it is. I think a lot of time the church tends to overlook this.

In the Bible study there was a quote from the Bible (I think from James) that I VERY roughly remember. It was something like: "When we fail in one part of our spiritual life, we have failed in them all" I know that this was written more eloquently and the quote makes more of an impact, but I don't have it handy and don't remember it word for word.

When I first read this, I was discouraged. I knew that there was always going to be an aspect of my life that I failed in and so I didn't know how God could have this expectation of humans when we're all bound to screw up everyday. Then I reflected further and came up with something like this:

I think this was written to prevent us from justifying our inaction. God calls us to minister to the lowliest people and do it with a happy heart. Most of the time we don't minister and we find any excuse: I teach a Sunday school class, I volunteer at my child's school, I go to church 3 times a week, etc. But James was saying that when we fail in ministering where we are supposed to (to the poor) then the rest of our works are considered worthless.

I thought it was very interesting. The entire time during the study I thought about a homeless man that lives about a block and a half away and I see him everytime I walk to the bus. I'm praying now that God would show me a way to minister to him and slowly but surely show him the love of Christ. I don't want him to rely on me for his daily bread, but God only.

1 comment:

  1. Kirsten, I am truly amazed by the clarity of your thinking. I would have never come to the conclusion that you did, but reading your reasoning makes perfect sense.
    You are indeed doing God's work and the world is blessed to have you in it.

    ReplyDelete