Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Bit of Everything

I haven't written in a while for two reasons:
1. Because I feel like there is so much going on, but nothing at all.
2. They changed the blog and I'm still trying to figure out how to write something on here in less than an hour.  They've made it all complicated now.

Anyway, life has been pretty much the same over here.  There has been lots of little things going on, I haven't had much time to post about it.  But here it goes!

Szerenad:
It's a tradition here in Hungary that when the 13th class is graduating, that they go around to all of their teacher's houses and sing outside of the window.  Then the teachers invite them in for a bit and give them something to eat and drink before they head on their merry way.  I had two classes come and do this and it was a lot of fun.  One of the classes sang Happy Birthday to me outside of my window and the other class sang "In the Jungle" from the Lion King because I love Disney so much.  So, it was pretty special and pretty awesome to experience.

Birthday:
I didn't do anything super special for my birthday this year because it's just 24.  I went out to dinner on my actual birthday (May 3) with a small group of friends to celebrate.  It was just what I wanted.  My dad also sent me some money to treat myself to a manicure and pedicure with my friend Joanna.  Joanna and I have now have a 3 year running tradition of pedicures for my birthday, it's pretty awesome.

Balagas:
This is the graduation ceremony here, if you will.  The students get dressed up, stand in a line, and they walk through the school (SUPER SLOWLY...it was painful!) all holding onto the shoulders of the person in front.  The teachers lead and we sing the whole time.  The line of students walks through each classroom where the other teachers and students are there to show their respect for their completion and gives a chance for the 13th class to say goodbye.  Then we all proceed outside where there are a few speeches and then all of the 13th students and teachers release balloons at the very end to say goodbye.  I definitely cried because it's the last day that I'll see my 13th graders in school.  But it was a very sweet send off all around.

Moving home:
So, I'm officially moving home July 9 and I have to say that I'm freaking out a bit about it.  The plan right now, unless a job comes up, is to move in with my dad in Maryland until I can establish myself enough to get my own place.  I have no idea about my future, but I'm constantly reminding myself that I do not need to worry about any of that stuff because God already has it all planned out for me.  Easier said than done, but I'm still working on it.  I will be sad to leave Hungary, but I'm excited to move home and see family and friends again.  It's going to be a very weird last 2 months here in Hungary, saying goodbye for good, but also a very weird few months back in America, trying to reacquaint myself with everyone and the lifestyle over there.  Good thing I have a God that gives constant grace.

Anyway, that's about it. I know it's long, but I wanted to keep everyone updated.  I'll put up pictures as soon as they're loaded to my computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment