Friday, May 25, 2012

Outlook

I feel like that I haven't had much to blog about lately. Sorry, everyone!  I'm sure that there has been stuff, but I suppose that it just hasn't crossed my mind to put it on here.  However, I had quite the experience the past two days and quite the lessons to go along with those experiences and I wanted to share.

The past two months, I've been having some issues with my heart.  Each time I exercise, especially running, my heart rate soars for no particular reason.  We're not just talking an above average heart rate, we're talking hitting the 190-200 range.  Not ok, especially at my age.  Now, I'm the type of person that will avoid the doctor at all costs...that's how I developed bronchitis last year.  I saw, "I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine" until I'm about dead and then I finally suck it up and go.  Yes, I do realize this is a terrible method..I'm working on it.  But I did this same thing with my heart rate.  I thought that it was something I could work through and my ole' ticker would just work itself out eventually and stop going crazy.  It didn't.  I had a race this past Sunday where I almost passed out and my max finally reached over 200/minute.  I got scared enough to finally head to the doctor.

So, I got my referrals that I needed from my GP and headed to the lab to get all my testing done (blood, urine, and EKG).  Here in Hungary, it's a first come- first serve basis, so you have to get there EARLY to get a spot or else you're waiting for hours.  I woke up, got there early, and got my number and waited. And waited.  Finally, I was called to go "check in" and get all my "equipment" for the blood work.  Well, that's where everything went down hill.  The lady didn't speak English (but insisted on speaking slowly and raising her voice at me like that would help), but I called Joanna and finally we figured out that it just wasn't happening. I didn't have my Hungarian equivalent of an insurance card (even though I had the number), so I had to go home and find it.  I was an emotional mess. I was hungry (since you can't eat before a blood test) and tired and was just fed up.  But, I needed this, so I went home and looked. To no avail.  I TORE APART my flat for over an hour and found nothing.  Called my school and they told me that I'd have to get a new card before I could get to the doctor.  That was a very long and frustrating "adventure" in of itself, but long story short, I got a temporary card that would work for my tests.

Now, I know that this may not sound like a lot to take on or to get worked up over, but at the time, it was a very big deal.  It took HOURS to get anything done and then all in a language I didn't speak or understand.  Frustrating.  On the bright side, the second half of the day was great. I got a surprise birthday gift from a friend, I signed a lease for my flat in America (more on that later), and I got to make s'mores on a real fire with friends.  But I knew that something would have to change by the next day because I'd have to do it all over again in the morning with the right stuff this time.  I emotionally couldn't take another day like that.

Today was great.  Jesus was great.  I woke up and before I even put my feet on the ground, I gave my day to Jesus and told him my cares, concerns, and frustrations, but let him have them.  I promised that I would do my best to stay positive and pray through everything.  MY attitude had to change- Jesus had convicted me of that.  So, I got there early and waited patiently.  I read my Bible and journaled the whole time that I waited.  I was called and all of my paperwork was correct this time, the nurses were quick and efficient and I even found someone who spoke English to help me when I needed it!  My EKG nurse was great, too.  She was super cute and funny.  She tried her best at English and complimented me when I did the same in Hungarian.  God gave me some GREAT verses to reflect on that both encourage and challenge me.  I was in and out of the hospital within 2 hours (which I think is an absolute record) and so encouraged.

I realize that this is a super long post, but I just had to share.  There's nothing that I can do about the Hungarian medical system and all that it entails.  The only thing that I can change is me and my attitude.  I read a quote that said "Utter only words of thanksgiving, rather than complaint".  Those were the words that challenged me, and oh, what a difference they made!

No comments:

Post a Comment