Wednesday, April 25, 2012

James 1:2-4

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Cliché, no? I mean, it's not cliché, but I feel like I've heard it so many times that whenever you recite it or someone starts speaking it to you, you can't help but be like, "Consider it pure joy, my brother, blah blah blah". I mean, maybe it's just me and maybe I'm going to be struck by lightning, but I can't help how I feel.

Recently, my friend has been going through some trials of his own and I have NO idea how to encourage him. None. I mean, there is nothing that I can say to make his situation better and there is nothing that I can do for him physically being in a different country and all...

So, I was thinking, praying, and contemplating how I could possibly encourage him through this time and I turned to Scripture and just happened to open up to James 1:2-4. I thought about whether or not I really wanted to send him that verse considering my own personal feelings towards them. But, then God spoke to my heart and changed everything. Just sitting with those verses for 10 minutes changed everything.

They are some of the most beautiful and powerful verses in Scripture.

Yes, we suffer and, yes, we go through trials. It sucks. No one likes suffering. BUT, we have joy even through those hard times.

Why? Because the God of all grace has blessed us and has a purpose for those trials and sufferings. It would be a different matter all together if we were to go through trials and suffering just for the sake of it. That would be stupid. Yet, we have a God that not gives a purpose to our pain, but went through that pain himself.

Wow.

I suffer because God is growing me, changing me, and making me more like him. And THAT is the purpose of my faith and my walk with Christ. Why shouldn't I welcome my trials??

No comments:

Post a Comment